Amazon Echo Frames (2nd Gen) Review
The second-generation Amazon Echo Frames ($269.99) make improvements on the original model by strengthening the
2023-07-05 23:45
Special Olympics Celebrates Third Annual Gaming for Inclusion Initiative
The Special Olympics partnered with Microsoft for the third annual Gaming for Inclusion event featuring notable celebrities such as Xavier Woods, Jamaal Charles and more.
2023-11-23 00:49
Elon Musk tweets quote by neo-Nazi wrongly attributed to Voltaire
Twitter users on Saturday were quick to point out that a quote shared by CEO Elon Musk had been misattributed to Voltaire – when it had in fact originated with a neo-Nazi. The billionaire tweeted a joke featuring a meme that showed a large hand crushing struggling figures with the accompanying words: “’To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.’ – Voltaire” Underneath that, the meme includes the joking comment: “we need to rise up against children with leukemia.” The very same “Voltaire” quote, however, was the subject of a fact-check piece last year from The Associated Press after Republican Kentucky Congressman Thomas Massie shared it in a tweet criticizing Dr Anthony Fauci, also attributing the words to the French philosopher. “Enlightenment-era writer Voltaire did not say this,” AP reported. “The quote, which was paraphrased, comes from a 1993 radio broadcast by Kevin Alfred Strom, who has been identified as a neo-Nazi by organizations that monitor hate groups.” The AP continued: “The original quote from Strom, a self-proclaimed American white nationalist and Holocaust denier, has been used previously online and paraphrased in a variety of ways ... Despite the quote originating more than a hundred years after Voltaire’s death in 1778, it has been repurposed and incorrectly attributed to him dozens of times. In 2019, actor John Cusack tweeted the quote before deleting the post and apologizing.” On Saturday, Musk’s tweet remained for hours without correction or apology as users pointed out the inaccuracy, some with glee and some with scorn. “If only your ability to launch rockets or presidential campaigns was as good as your ability to launch misinformation,” tweeted commentator and author Keith Olbermann. “Voltaire didn’t say that. A neo-Nazi said that. 30 years ago. Good work, Elmo.” Another user, @HistoryUser, shared a Reuters fact-check link and wrote: “This was not said by Voltaire but by Kevin Strom, a neo-Nazi and Holocaust denier. It’s a cool quote and I wish it had been said by a better dude, but it wasn’t, and so people should really stop using it. (And definitely stop saying Voltaire said it!)” The Independent has reached out to Twitter for comment. Read More Elon Musk's brain implant company Neuralink says it has US approval to begin trials in people EU official says Twitter abandons bloc's voluntary pact against disinformation DeSantis signed bill shielding SpaceX and other companies from liability day after Elon Musk 2024 launch Kimberly Guilfoyle threatens DeSantis: ‘You’re going to get hurt, and damaged – badly’ Donald Trump Jr shares doctored Office clip showing Ron DeSantis wearing a woman’s suit
2023-05-28 06:29
The Best Budget Laptops for 2023
Apple won't sell you a new MacBook for less than $999, but the days when
2023-06-22 06:17
Instagram users are not happy with new likes feature
From Twitter being rebranded as X, to Meta who have rivalled this with their new Threads platform, there's been quite a few changes to social media this year. One of those recent changes also includes Instagram’s new-like animation which applies to those who updated the app. It means that when you like something on Instagram, the large heart will then appear in the area where you double-tapped on the photo and then the heart flies upwards off the screen. Of course, when it comes to social media updates, no one is a fan of change and Instagram users made this clear on X, formerly known as Twitter. Here is a compilation of reactions who all shared they weren't happy with the new like update, as one declared the feature "sucks," though this update did result in some amusing memes too: Unfortunately for those who updated the app, there is no way to change the like option back to the original but those who haven't updated Instagram can avoid the new feature if they opt out of auto-updates on Instagram. Sign up to our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-08-16 20:20
Best Early Prime Day Soundbar Deals: Get Over 50% Off Denon, Sony, More
The introduction of multichannel soundbars in the late 1990s was a seismic shift in the
2023-07-05 04:51
Amber Heard's Spanish Escapade: Embracing Madrid's charm while keeping mum on the Johnny Depp saga
Amber Heard once said, 'I love Spain so much. I really want to stay since I enjoy living here. I guess I need to proceed now. This is life'
2023-05-21 23:49
India renews process for $10 billion semiconductor incentive scheme - Bloomberg News
India plans to reopen the application process for $10 billion in incentives and assistance intended to encourage the
2023-05-10 08:52
Provenir Appoints Carol Hamilton as Chief Product Officer
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun 22, 2023--
2023-06-22 19:27
Intel Patches 'Critical Weakness' Found in Billions of Processors
Intel fixed the security flaw known as "Downfall" this week, which is described as a
2023-08-09 23:19
TikTok prankster Mizzy banned from using social media, judge rules
TikTok prankster Mizzy has been banned from using social media after he was found guilty of posting videos without consent. The star, real name Bacari-Bronze O’Garro, was found to have “deliberately flouted” a court order prohibiting him from sharing videos of people without their consent “within hours” of it being passed. Judge Matthew Bone, overseeing the 19-year-old’s trial at Stratford Magistrates Court on Thursday, slammed O’Garro for “lacking all credibility” after he denied four counts of breaching the order. He ordered the father-of-one not to use social media “at all” except to send messages until he is sentenced next month and warned that he could go to prison for the offences he had committed. It comes after O’Garro’s defence lawyer Paul Lennon revealed to the court earlier on Thursday that his client had been arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. O’Garro’s main witness in the case, who was due to give evidence at the trial, was also arrested and both were bailed on the condition that they do not contact each other. Mr Lennon attempted to adjourn the hearing, claiming O’Garro was unable to receive a “fair trial” without his only witness, but his application was rejected by Judge Bone. I found it to be an intentional, immediate, and deliberate challenge to the criminal behaviour order Judge Bone The court heard how O’Garro began sharing videos of people without their consent on the same day the criminal behaviour order was passed on May 24 this year. It was shown footage, shared on O’Garro’s Twitter account on the night of May 24 featuring him in Westfield shopping centre, Stratford, after he appeared on Piers Morgan’s TalkTV show and mocked the British judicial system. In the video, passersby were visible in the background as Mizzy said to the camera: “The UK law is a joke.” Other videos shared on O’Garro’s Snapchat account, which were also in breach, showed him grabbing hold of a schoolboy by his uniform and another showing him fight a man with dwarfism, which O’Garro claimed were hoax videos made with their prior agreement. O’Garro’s claim that one of his friends, who had access to his login details, posted the Twitter videos without his consent, was dismissed by Judge Bone as “inconceivable”. The judge said: “I have to say I did not accept the evidence of the defendant – it lacked all credibility. “Within hours of the criminal behaviour order he posed (in Westfield) stating the video would be shared and it was. “The defendant was filmed trying to shake a man’s hand from whom consent was not obtained. “He had just appeared on national television saying the British law was weak. “I found it to be an intentional, immediate and deliberate challenge to the criminal behaviour order. You need to understand that you deliberately flouted this court order within hours of it being made Judge Bone “Dealing again with charge four, two people were roughed up on camera by the defendant – I found his behaviour was again a deliberate challenge to the criminal behaviour order.” Judge Bone found O’Garro not guilty on two further counts of the same charge, ruling that the videos in question may already have been shared before the criminal behaviour order was passed. However, he warned O’Garro: “The defendant shouldn’t take much comfort from that. “What I have convicted him of crosses the custody threshold. “This is a man who has stepped over the line of the order in a deliberate way. “You need to understand the seriousness of your situation now. “You need to understand that you deliberately flouted this court order within hours of it being made.” O’Garro will be sentenced on November 21 at Thames Magistrates Court. Read More Study finds ‘deepfakes’ from Ukraine war undermining trust in conflict footage More than 500 potential cyber attacks logged every second, BT says AI being used to create child abuse imagery, watchdog warns ChatGPT and other chatbots ‘can be tricked into making code for cyber attacks’ Tinder adds Matchmaker feature to let friends recommend potential dates Google and Meta withdraw from upcoming Web Summit
2023-10-27 00:56
Sega Pulls Back From Blockchain Gaming as Crypto Winter Persists
Sega Corp., the gaming studio once regarded among the staunchest advocates of blockchain gaming, is pulling back from
2023-07-07 06:17
You Might Like...
Spain's watchdog clears Amazon, Booking.com, Tripadvisor over fake reviews
Paralysed man walks again via thought-controlled implants
Get a digital SIM and $50 to spend on data for just $22
House Republican lawmakers urge US crackdown on Huawei, SMIC
The Star Entertainment Group and Konami Gaming Strengthen SYNKROS Casino Systems Partnership for Technological Advancement
European Nations Join Island States in Calling for Fossil-Fuel Phaseout
Beats Studio Pro: Apple launches updated version of over-ear headphones
Australian Court Backs Coal Mine Expansions in Key Climate Case
