Sdorn Provides Timely and Accurate Technology News, Covering APP, AI, IoT, Cybersecurity, Startup and Innovation.
⎯ 《 Sdorn • Com 》
iPhone 15: Global smartphone demand collapses as Apple aims to take top spot
iPhone 15: Global smartphone demand collapses as Apple aims to take top spot
Global smartphone shipments are set to fall to their lowest level in a decade this year, according to new research. Preliminary figures from market research firm Counterpoint forecast a 6 per cent decline to 1.15 billion units in 2023, down from a peak of 1.57 billion shipments in 2017. The slump in shipments comes amid economic uncertainties that have seen demand drop significantly in the US and China. Despite declining smartphone shipments, Apple may be in a good position to become the world’s number one brand for the first time ever, according to the figures, with Counterpoint observing both a premium and ultra-premium growth trend globally in 2023. Apple is set to unveil its latest iPhone 15 in September, offering an opportunity to boost its market share. “So far this year it’s been record low upgrades across all carriers,” said Jeff Fieldhack, a research director at Counterpoint Research. “The iPhone 15 launch is a window for carriers to steal high-value customers. And with that big iPhone 12 installed base up for grabs, promos are going to be aggressive, leaving Apple in a good spot.” Mr Fieldhack added: “It’s the closest Apple’s been to the top spot. We’re talking about a spread that’s literally a few days’ worth of sales. Assuming Apple doesn’t run into production problems like it did last year, it’s really a toss up at this point.” High inflation and relatively modest upgrades across the smartphone sector mean consumers are “hesitant to upgrade their devices”, according to Counterpoint’s report. Upgrades for Apple’s iPhone 15 range of phones are expected to be substantial, with new hardware features like a USB-C port, a multi-action button and periscope cameras. The US smartphone giant is expected to announce its next-generation iPhone 15 on 12 September or 13 September, with the devices going on sale on 22 September. Read More iPhone owners to receive payouts from Apple Something unexpected is happening to people’s iPhone 14s, owners claim Apple is working on a mysterious new project called ‘Watch X’, report claims Apple iPhone 15 rumours: Pro and Pro Max release date, price, cameras, specs and more
2023-08-17 22:20
Mercedes won't join Renault's new electric van project-sources
Mercedes won't join Renault's new electric van project-sources
PARIS Mercedes Benz Group, a longtime partner of Renault in vans, won't take part in the French company's
2023-06-02 21:54
China's answer to Boeing and Airbus isn't as 'homegrown' as it seems. Here's why
China's answer to Boeing and Airbus isn't as 'homegrown' as it seems. Here's why
China is claiming a historic win this week after its answer to Boeing and Airbus, the C919, took to the skies for its first commercial flight.
2023-06-03 09:48
HYFIX.AI Launches New RTK Rovers With Quectel LC29H GNSS Module on CrowdSupply
HYFIX.AI Launches New RTK Rovers With Quectel LC29H GNSS Module on CrowdSupply
PALO ALTO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun 14, 2023--
2023-06-15 00:23
Google launches AI-powered advertiser features in push for automation
Google launches AI-powered advertiser features in push for automation
By Sheila Dang Alphabet's Google said on Wednesday it is launching two new artificial intelligence-powered features for advertisers
2023-06-14 12:23
Kingston Digital Expands External SSD Lineup
Kingston Digital Expands External SSD Lineup
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep 5, 2023--
2023-09-05 21:48
Legible Secures Worldwide Rights to Stan Lee's Workforce in Landmark Deal With Kartoon Studios
Legible Secures Worldwide Rights to Stan Lee's Workforce in Landmark Deal With Kartoon Studios
VANCOUVER, British Columbia--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sep 8, 2023--
2023-09-08 20:59
Data protection watchdog warns websites over cookie consent alerts
Data protection watchdog warns websites over cookie consent alerts
Some of the UK’s most visited websites face enforcement action from the data protection watchdog if they do not make changes to allow users to consent to advertising cookies. The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) said some websites do not give users fair choices over whether or not they are tracked for personalised advertising. The ICO has previously issued guidance to help ensure firms make it as easy for users to reject advertising cookies as it is to accept all – often using consent banners which pop up when a user first lands on a website – but the watchdog has said that some of the UK’s top websites are not complying with data protection law on this issue. Many of the biggest websites have got this right. We’re giving companies who haven’t managed that yet a clear choice: make the changes now, or face the consequences Stephen Almond, ICO It said it had written to a number of firms giving them 30 days to comply or face potential enforcement action. Under UK data protection law, companies must give users fair choice to opt out of tracking using cookies, which is often then used to serve people personalised adverts online. Companies are still able to show users adverts when someone has rejected all tracking, but the ads must not be tailored to the person browsing. Stephen Almond, ICO executive director of regulatory risk, said: “We’ve all been surprised to see adverts online that seem designed specifically for us – an ad for a hotel when you’ve just booked a flight abroad, for instance. Our research shows that many people are concerned about companies using their personal information to target them with ads without their consent. “Gambling addicts may be targeted with betting offers based on their browsing record, women may be targeted with distressing baby adverts shortly after miscarriage and someone exploring their sexuality may be presented with ads that disclose their sexual orientation. “Many of the biggest websites have got this right. We’re giving companies who haven’t managed that yet a clear choice: make the changes now, or face the consequences.” The ICO said it would provide a further update on this work in January, including details of any companies that had not addressed the watchdog’s concerns. Read More Employee data leaked during British Library cyber attack Half of adults who chat online with strangers do not check age – poll Businesses embracing generative AI but fear cyberattacks, survey finds
2023-11-21 22:50
WhatsApp users will soon have to pay to keep old messages and photos
WhatsApp users will soon have to pay to keep old messages and photos
Google has warned billions of WhatsApp users that backup storage for old chats, photos and videos will soon no longer be free. Messages and media on the hugely popular messaging app will now count towards a user’s Google Account cloud storage limit if they use an Android device. Personal Google Accounts come with 15GB of free storage, however that is shared across Google Drive, Gmail and Google Photos. This means any additional photos, videos and audio files from WhatsApp may force many users to pay for additional storage space. “As an important heads up, WhatsApp backups on Android will soon start counting toward your Google Account cloud storage limit, similar to how WhatsApp backups are handled on other mobile platforms,” a Google community manager wrote in a blog post on Tuesday. “WhatsApp backups on Android will continue to work, as long as you have available space within your Google Account storage. If you hit your storage limit, you’ll need to free up space to resume backups by removing items you do not need.” The change will begin rolling out to WhatsApp Beta users next month, before coming to all WhatsApp users on Android in early 2024. Of the roughly 3 billion WhatsApp users around the world, an estimated 73 per cent of them access the app on Android. There are several price options for additional Google storage, with the cheapest monthly plan for 100GB of data starting at $1.99. This would cover all but the most data intensive WhatsApp users. The update comes amid a major overhaul of how Google manages online accounts and data, with all personal accounts that have been inactive for more than two years set to be deleted in December. The move is intended to improve security for active users, though some have noted that it may inadvertently impact people who have set up accounts for young children in order to share memories and milestones, as well as users who are in control of the accounts of deceased relatives. Read More Gmail: Google issues three-week warning to account holders
2023-11-15 22:28
HOMELINK Appoints John Unsen as Senior VP of Systems
HOMELINK Appoints John Unsen as Senior VP of Systems
WATERLOO, Iowa--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun 27, 2023--
2023-06-28 00:17
Maritime industry explores nuclear power for ships as technology opens up
Maritime industry explores nuclear power for ships as technology opens up
By Jonathan Saul LONDON The maritime industry is exploring whether nuclear fuel can be used to power commercial
2023-09-20 00:15
Bruker Announces SciY™ Platform of Advanced Scientific and Automation Software Solutions for the Digital Transformation of the Life Science and Biopharma Industries
Bruker Announces SciY™ Platform of Advanced Scientific and Automation Software Solutions for the Digital Transformation of the Life Science and Biopharma Industries
ZUERICH, Switzerland--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun 30, 2023--
2023-06-30 19:22