
OpenAI Loses Third Board Member With Exit of Presidential Candidate Will Hurd
OpenAI has lost another board member with the departure of former Texas representative Will Hurd, who announced at
2023-07-14 01:23

US Health Department Ensnared by MOVEit Hacking Campaign
The US Department of Health and Human Services was ensnared by a sweeping hacking campaign that exploited a
2023-06-29 09:50

Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario, bids farewell to role after 30 years
Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario, will no longer be voicing the iconic role of Mario for Nintendo.
2023-08-22 19:29

World registers hottest day ever recorded on July 3
By Gloria Dickie Monday, July 3, was the hottest day ever recorded globally, according to data from the U.S. National
2023-07-04 23:45

Twitch will soon let you block banned users from seeing your stream
Twitch will soon let streamers stop banned users from viewing their broadcast, offering one more
2023-08-17 16:47

Scorching Heat to Blanket Germany and Alps Through the Weekend
Heat will swathe large parts of Germany and the Alps through the weekend, depressing water levels in the
2023-07-05 15:56

TikTok allowed millions of people to see Canadian ‘helicopter’ wildfire conspiracies before taking down videos
More than 400 wildfires are raging across Canada, and misinformation about the blazes is spreading as well, particularly on TikTok. As Media Matters for America (MMFA) noted in a recent analysis, videos on TikTok claiming the fires were started intentionally by helicopters, arsonists, and “directed energy weapons” have garnered millions of views this month, with the false ideas in these videos then spreading to other social media platforms. Only a few of the most viral false videos have been taken down, the analysis notes. Further scrutiny of such claims provides easy evidence to the contrary, with Canadian officials attributing the fires to a combination of lightning strikes, human accidents, and dry, climate crisis-fueled conditions across the country. “We are already seeing one of the worst wildfire seasons on record,” Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, said in a statement earlier this month. “We must prepare for a long summer.” Other videos about the fires featured clips from a controlled burn by fire officials, as well as what was actually a 2015 wildfire, MMFA found. The Independent has contacted TikTok for comment. Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated from their homes including large numbers in Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia. Hundreds of firefighters have arrived from countries like Australia, New Zealand, the US, South Africa, Chile, Costa Rica and France to assist the exhausted Canadian crews. As The Independent has previously reported, misinformation spreads quickly on TikTok during ongoing disasters, thanks in part to public distrust of government officials and an increasingly anti-science bent in US politics. “Social media can be helpful. It alerts people to a situation. It’s a way for widespread dissemination,” Dr Erin Haynes, professor of preventive medicine and environmental health at the University of Kentucky told The Independent in March in the wake of the Ohio train derailment disaster. “But because of that it allows widespread dissemination of false information, so it can go both ways. You have to be very cautious when using social media. Fact-check, find the source of that information.” Read More Canadian wildfire smoke gives Minnesota city the worst air in the US Satellites capture Canadian wildfire smoke pouring into US Midwest Wildfire smoke from Canada might be a problem ‘all summer’
2023-06-19 06:54

Thales Wins Google Cloud Technology Partner of the Year Security – Data Protection Award
MEUDON, France--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug 29, 2023--
2023-08-29 22:28

GE HealthCare Introduces Vscan Air SL, a Wireless Handheld Ultrasound Device for Rapid Assessments of Cardiac and Vascular Patients
CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug 25, 2023--
2023-08-25 21:15

California law would make tech giants pay for news
A proposed law requiring internet giants to pay for news stories moved forward in California on Friday, despite Facebook owner Meta threatening to pull news...
2023-06-03 03:49

Elon Musk’s X may charge users in these two countries $1 a year to post on platform
Elon Musk’s X is planning to charge users in New Zealand and the Philippines joining via the platform’s web application $1 per year as part of its programme to reduce bot activity. The subscription is part of X’s “Not A Bot” programme, which attempts to “bolster our already significant efforts to reduce spam, manipulation of our platform and bot activity”, the company noted in a help centre post on its website on Tuesday. As part of the pilot programme, new users signing up via the website in the two countries will also be required to verify their account with a phone number, the unsigned post said. It remained unclear why the subscription programme is being rolled out only in these two countries, and exclusively for new users joining via the X website, and not the mobile app. However, Not a Bot’s terms and conditions suggested that people may also subscribe to the programme from X’s iOS and Android apps, while the main help centre post only specified web. X did not immediately respond to The Independent’s request for comment. “As of October 17th, 2023 we’ve started testing “Not A Bot”, a new subscription method for new users in two countries,” the company posted. “This will evaluate a potentially powerful measure to help us combat bots and spammers on X, while balancing platform accessibility with the small fee amount. Within this test, existing users are not affected,” it said. New users from the two countries who opt to subscribe with $1 will for the web version of the platform will be able to post content, like posts, reply, repost and quote other accounts’ posts, as well as bookmark posts, X noted. However, those who opt out of this subscription in the web application “will only be able to take ‘read only’ actions, such as: Read posts, Watch videos, and Follow accounts,” the company stated. “This new programme aims to defend against bots and spammers who attempt to manipulate the platform and disrupt the experience of other X users. We look forward to sharing more about the results soon,” it added. The latest programme is also in addition of X’s premium $8 subscription option. Commenting on a post on X about the new programme, Mr Musk called it “the only way to fight bots without blocking real users.” “Correct, read for free, but $1/year to write. This won’t stop bots completely, but it will be 1000X harder to manipulate the platform,” the multibillionaire said. X’s latest decision is in line with the Tesla titan’s aim to curb bot activity on the platform since before his takeover of then-Twitter in November last year. He has also held from the beginning that charging users would curb bot activity on the social media platform even though it has been found that only a small fraction of users subscribe to its $8 premium service. But the multibillionaire has continued to hold that a subscription fee would make it harder for bots to create accounts since each bot would need a new credit card to register on the platform. “It’s the only way I can think of to combat vast armies of bots,” Mr Musk said last month. “Because a bot costs a fraction of a penny – call it a tenth of a penny – but even if it has to pay a few dollars or something, the effective cost of bots is very high,” he added. Read More EU to investigate X’s handling of disinformation over Hamas attack on Israel EU asks Elon Musk to ‘walk the talk’ on X/Twitter disinformation over Hamas attack How Elon Musk’s Twitter became a haven for fake news and misinformation Viral hate and misinformation amid Israel-Hamas crisis renew fears of real-world violence Instagram Threads adds edit button and voice notes as it attempts to take over from Twitter EU opens investigation into X’s handling of disinformation over Hamas attack on Israel
2023-10-18 13:25

Elon Musk became ‘anti-woke’ because of his daughter’s gender transition, book claims
Elon Musk became vehemently “anti-woke” because of his daughter’s gender transition, according to a new book on the Tesla boss. The billionaire’s right-wing political leanings “were partly triggered” when his then-16-year-old child, Vivian Jenna Wilson, came out to her aunt. The claim was made by Mr Musk’s biographer, Walter Isaacson, in an excerpt from his book – entitled Elon Musk – published in The Wall Street Journal on Thursday. “Hey, I’m transgender, and my name is now Jenna,” she reportedly texted her aunt. “Don’t tell my dad.” Ms Wilson was granted a legal name and gender change last June and has severed all ties with her famous father. According to the book, Mr Musk brands his daughter a “Communist” who ended her relationship with him because she was brainwashed into “thinking that anyone rich is evil” by her $50,000-per-year school in California. Mr Musk said he “partly” blames the Crossroads School for Arts& Sciences for his daughter’s change in attitude towards him. “She went beyond socialism to being a full communist and thinking that anyone rich is evil,” said Mr Musk, who has a personal worth of $257.5bn. Mr Musk has previously blamed “woke” schools for his daughter’s transition, but it is the first time that he has named Crossroads. Mr Musk said that the rift with his daughter is the most painful thing he has experienced since the death of his first child at 10 weeks old from sudden infant death syndrome. Her mother is the Canadian writer Justine Wilson, who was married to Mr Musk from 2000 to 2008. The Independent has reached out to Crossroads for comment. Read More Twitter/X indicates it will start collecting ‘biometric information’ and ‘employment history’ KSI reveals how much money he made from Elon Musk’s new Twitter monetisation in August Tesla under federal probe over mysterious project to build ‘glass house’ for Elon Musk, report says ‘San Francisco will end up like Detroit’: Why Elon Musk and tech CEOs are fighting lawsuit on homeless crisis Elon Musk booed at video games contest as crowds shout: ‘Bring back Twitter!’ Why Elon Musk and tech CEOs are backing a lawsuit against anti-homelessness advocates Elon Musk booed at video games contest as crowds shout: ‘Bring back Twitter!’ Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis faces Black leaders' anger after racist killings in Jacksonville
2023-09-01 09:28
You Might Like...

Nagoya Port Delays Restart Following Alleged Ransomware Attack

Humans could be controlled by robots, AI firm’s founder warns

LG Electronics says it aims to achieve $77 billion in sales by 2030

Reverba Announces Appointment of Peter J. Brown as President

Netflix, Warner Bros partner with Verizon to offer discounted streaming bundle - source

FTX customers are still grappling with crypto platform's collapse

Does Olivia Dunne have a sister? 'Forgotten sibling' shares BTS bikini videos from Italy vacation

Unblock Hulu for free with this simple hack