US judge rejects challenges to Apple's $50 million keyboard settlement
By Mike Scarcella A U.S. judge on Thursday approved Apple Inc's $50 million class-action settlement resolving consumer claims
2023-05-27 00:58
Elon Musk vows to sue ADL for calling him antisemitic after he promoted antisemitic campaign on X
Elon Musk has threatened to sue the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) for billions of dollars after quixotically blaming the Jewish rights organisation for spreading antisemitism on his social media platform X. The self-proclaimed “free speech absolutist”, who has amplified and reinstated neo-Nazi and far-right accounts since acquiring X, formerly known as Twitter, for $44bn last year blamed the ADL for “destroying” $22bn in the company’s value in a series of posts on Monday. “Since the acquisition, The ADL has been trying to kill this platform by falsely accusing it & me of being anti-Semitic,” Mr Musk wrote. He claimed that the site’s United States advertising revenue was down 60 per cent “primarily due to pressure on advertisers by ADL”. “If this continues, we will have no choice but to file a defamation suit against, ironically, the ‘Anti-Defamation’ League.” An ADL spokesperson told The Independent in a statement that it did not comment on legal threats, but added that Mr Musk was helping to boost a coordinated “Ban the ADL” campaign being waged by self-declared antisemites. “ADL is unsurprised yet undeterred that antisemites, white supremacists, conspiracy theorists and other trolls have launched a coordinated attack on our organisation. This type of thing is nothing new,” the ADL spokesperson said. “Such insidious efforts don’t daunt us. Instead, they drive us to be unflinching in our commitment to fight hate in all its forms and ensure the safety of Jewish communities and other marginalised groups.” Mr Musk’s threats to sue the ADL, a century-old NGO that describes itself as the “leading anti-hate organisation in the world”, were met with anger and disbelief from some commentators on X. “In his pursuit of some kind of utopian free speech universe, Elon Musk has turned Twitter / X into a free-for-all for Neo Nazis and White Extremists to unleash a torrent of unprecedented antisemitism and Jew hatred,” wrote Israeli human rights lawyer Arsen Ostrovsky. NYU professor Ruth Ben-Ghiat posted: “So it's the Jews manipulating others. Elon Musk that is so original!” Since Mr Musk’s takeover, advertisers have fled the platform or reduced their ad spend as hateful content was allowed to spread unchecked. Mr Musk, the world’s richest person with an estimated net wealth of $248bn, fired an estimated 80 per cent of its workforce, including most of its content moderators, and reinstated previously banned accounts. X’s US advertising revenue over a five-week period from April to May this year came to $88m, a 59 percent decrease from one year ago, according to the New York Times. In August, X filed a lawsuit against the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) after it published a report showing that moderators had failed to take action on 99 out of 100 examples of harmful content by verified “blue check” users that the organisation had flagged. “Musk is trying to ‘shoot the messenger’ who highlights the toxic content on his platform rather than deal with the toxic environment he’s created,” CEO Imran Ahmed said in a statement. “CCDH has no intention of stopping our independent research – Musk will not bully us into silence.” The Independent attempted to reach Mr Musk through X, Tesla and via a personal email address but did not hear back. Read More Elon Musk calls Burning Man ‘best art on Earth’ amid chaos that saw thousands stranded and one dead Elon Musk promotes transphobic content as hate speech surges on his far-right platform X threatens to sue researchers who accused Twitter of allowing ‘hate to prosper’ on platform
2023-09-06 00:45
SpaceX hires former NASA human spaceflight chief for Starship role
By Joey Roulette WASHINGTON Elon Musk's SpaceX has tapped NASA's former human spaceflight boss Kathy Lueders to help
2023-05-16 02:26
GoodRx Unveils Medicine Cabinet, A Better Way To Manage All Of Your Prescriptions
SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jul 27, 2023--
2023-07-27 21:21
Invisible Urban Charging, JLL Launch Global Partnership for EV Charging
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun 15, 2023--
2023-06-16 02:19
How to Save the Most Money on Prime Day
We're halfway through the year, so that means Amazon Prime Day is upon us once
2023-07-11 05:26
A federal emergency alert will be sent to US phones nationwide on Wednesday - here’s what it means
Millions of phones, TVs and radios across the US will receive an alert on Wednesday as part of a nationwide test for an emergency alert system. At 2.20pm ET, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will test the Emergency Alert System for TV and radio sets, and the Wireless Emergency Alerts for phones. “These test alerts are necessary to verify that the system is working properly so that, in a real case, citizens will know what to do, depending on the information that is issued,” said Nino Correa Filomeno, the commissioner of the Puerto Rico Emergency Management Bureau, who will coordinate with FEMA for the tests. “Amid this hurricane season, and any time an emergency occurs, it is necessary to have this system in place.” It is the seventh test for the system since FEMA set it up, however there are already conspiracy theories spreading online about its actual purpose. One false theory is that the signal is being sent to activate nanoparticles that have been introduced to people’s bodies, with one widely shared claim suggesting that it relates to the Covid-19 vaccine. Some users on X, formerly Twitter, advised people to shut off their phones in order to avoid receiving the alert. One user wrote: “Recommendations include not only disabling all alerts but also removing the sim card and shutting down your phone completely, possibly putting in a faraday bag if you have one.” Any smartphone that is switched on and within range of a cell tower will receive the emergency alert test message, which will be accompanied by a “unique tone” and vibration to make sure it is seen, heard or felt by as many people as possible, including those with disabilities. The radio and television portion of the test is being conducted with the participation of broadcasters, satellite providers and cable systems. “We want to ensure that the systems continue to be effective, that the public understands and uses these alerts and warnings about emergencies, particularly those on the national level, as we work to strengthen emergency readiness among our communities,” said Orlando Olivera, a coordinator at FEMA’s Caribbean office in Puerto Rico. “This is one step to be ready for emergencies. We are encouraging everyone, especially older adults to Take Control in 1, 2, 3: Assess your needs, Make a plan, and Engage your support network.” Read More Apple blames Instagram for overheating iPhones Japan startup unveils 15-foot robot suit for space exploration New discovery is ‘holy grail’ breakthrough in search for aliens, scientist say Elon Musk’s X ordered to pay over $1m in legal fees for laid off Twitter execs
2023-10-04 18:25
Baidu and SenseTime launch ChatGPT-style AI bots to the public
Chinese tech firms Baidu and SenseTime launched their ChatGPT-style AI bots to the public on Thursday, marking a new milestone in the global AI race.
2023-08-31 13:53
China Says Micron Products Failed in Its Cybersecurity Review
China said it found serious cybersecurity risks after conducting a review of Micron Technology Inc. products sold in
2023-05-21 20:48
Don't Lose Access: How to Transfer Your Netflix Profile to a New Account
If you're mooching off someone else's Netflix account, the company's password-sharing crackdown may have you
2023-07-17 02:22
Wireless cellular service to be made available to all Toronto subway riders from October
The Canadian government on Monday announced new licence conditions requiring mobile carriers to provide all of Toronto's subway
2023-09-12 05:17
Live worm discovered in woman's brain in a worrying world first
A worm has been found living inside a woman’s brain, in a horror-movie-style world first. Doctors in Canberra, Australia, were left stunned after they pulled the 8cm (3in) parasite from the patient’s damaged frontal lobe tissue during surgery last year. "Everyone [in] that operating theatre got the shock of their life when [the surgeon] took some forceps to pick up an abnormality and the abnormality turned out to be a wriggling, live 8cm light red worm," said infectious diseases doctor Sanjaya Senanayake, according to the BBC. "Even if you take away the yuck factor, this is a new infection never documented before in a human being." Senanayake and his colleagues believe the parasite could have been in there for up to two months. The patient, a 64-year-old woman from New South Wales, was first admitted to her local hospital in late January 2021 after suffering three weeks of abdominal pain and diarrhoea, followed by a constant dry cough, fever and night sweats, The Guardian reports. By 2022, her symptoms extended to forgetfulness and depression, and she was referred to Canberra Hospital, where an MRI scan of her brain revealed “abnormalities” that required surgery. “The neurosurgeon certainly didn’t go in there thinking they would find a wriggling worm,” Senanayake told the paper. “Neurosurgeons regularly deal with infections in the brain, but this was a once-in-a-career finding. No one was expecting to find that.” The team at the hospital sent the worm to an experienced parasite researcher who identified it as an Ophidascaris robertsi. This type of roundworm is commonly found in carpet pythons – non-venomous snakes that are ubiquitous across much of Australia. Writing in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases, Mehrab Hossain, a parasitologist, said she suspected that the patient became an "accidental host" to the worm after cooking with foraged plants. The 64-year-old was known to have often collected native grasses from around her lakeside home, Senanayake told The Guardian. He and his co-workers have concluded that the woman was probably infected after a python shed eggs from the parasite via its faeces into the grass. By touching the plants, she may then have transferred the eggs into her own food or kitchen utensils. Fortunately, the unlucky and unique patient is said to be making a good recovery. However, Senanayake told the BBC that her case should serve as an important warning to society more broadly. "It just shows as a human population burgeons, we move closer and encroach on animal habitats. This is an issue we see again and again, whether it's Nipah virus that's gone from wild bats to domestic pigs and then into people, whether its a coronavirus like Sars or Mers that has jumped from bats into possibly a secondary animal and then into humans,” he said. "Even though Covid is now slowly petering away, it is really important for epidemiologists… and governments to make sure they've got good infectious diseases surveillance around." Sign up for our free Indy100 weekly newsletter Have your say in our news democracy. Click the upvote icon at the top of the page to help raise this article through the indy100 rankings.
2023-08-29 15:51
You Might Like...
US tennis star Sloane Stephens says racist abuse on social media has 'only gotten worse'
China launches 'world's fastest internet' connection
'Lost City' deep in the Atlantic is like nothing else we've ever seen on Earth
Kim Kardashian, Rylan Clark and Dalai Lama among those joining new app Threads
Google's Privacy Sandbox Starts Rolling Out
Meituan Buys Co-Founder’s Months-Old AI Startup for $234 Million
News firms seek transparency, collective negotiation over content use by AI makers - letter
AI can predict Parkinson’s subtype with up to 95% accuracy, study suggests
